Friday, August 7, 2009

Furlough Friday ::: Day One

It's interesting, to say the least, that on my first furlough day, the jobless rate went from 9.5% to 9.4%, the first decrease in unemployment in 15 months.

It should be noted, however, that unemployment numbers don't include people who are unemployed but not looking for work.

People lose their jobs, start seeking new jobs, and are counted as unemployed.

After a bit of searching, and heartbreak, no doubt, they're unable to find jobs and decide to stop looking. They'll look some more once the economy gets better.

But once they stop looking, they're not counted as unemployed. And the number of individuals who are "unemployed" drops.

Please note that this is not the only reason the unemployment numbers "improved" they way they did, but it probably played a significant role.

So what does this mean for me?

Will I stay on furlough for long? I hope not.

Today, however, was my first day of furlough.

And when I first heard we were going to be having furloughs, I told myself I'd stay as positive about the whole situation as I could.

He is my provider, so I'm not to worried about the whole thing.

He is good to me.

He is good.

He Is.

And that's enough for me, although I could get a little carried away with the fact that He Is and what that means to me ... but I digress.

My first day of furlough was pretty good.

We all slept in today, got up nice and rested, and started our morning routines.

Averie had some school work to finish up and I started to clean up the garage and pull some weeds from the front yard.

Susie did some running around, and when she came back, we went shopping.

Averie got some new shoes and some new clothes.

"Lucky!"

Taco Bell provided the quick lunch we needed and after a truly wondrous nap, we had some really good dinner at Memphis' Best BBQ in Buckeye with my folks.

Afterwards my mom and dad came over for desert.

Averie and I played a game of Uno (I won, a rare event) and then we just hung out and visited.

Now, as I type this, Samarah is down for the night and my two ladies are playing make-up.

I love living in a house full of girls :-/

So Furlough Friday No. 1 was a success.

Now I can enjoy my weekend.

I love Saturdays because we sleep in, wake-up late, leave the house for lunch and some running around, and then enjoy the best summer Saturday evenings ever.

Sundays are the best because it's a day dedicated to Him.

Sunday morning worship is a time of family. Me and my brothers and sisters gather together to praise Him and enjoy each others' fellowship.

It's amazing.

- Fin

No comments:

Post a Comment